The Perth Mint fascinates all age groups and is particularly educational, with many links to the national curriculum framework. Students will discover the tremendous impact the discovery of gold has had on shaping Western Australia, and discover gold in forms that they would otherwise be unlikely to encounter.
School groups that are interested in discovering more about our State’s golden history, the gold mining industry, precious metal coining, and Australian currency, should consider us for their next visit.
On a visit to The Perth Mint, students can:
- take part in an entertaining and informative guided heritage walk including entry to the Gold Exhibition;
- watch molten gold being poured to form a gleaming gold bar within the Mint's original Melting House;
- see the world's largest gold coin made from 1 tonne of pure gold;
- handle more than $700,000 worth of gold bullion;
- view Australia's greatest collection of natural gold nuggets, including Newmont's Normandy nugget, the second largest nugget in the world still in existence;
- experience the excitement of the early gold rushes;
- discover the value of their weight in gold;
- see millions of dollars' worth of precious metal coins and medallions being struck;
- mint their own medallion for just $2; and
- have a special message engraved on a personalised medallion from just $17.
Download The Perth Mint's Excursion Information for School Groups here.
A special offer for schools
Two of Perth’s top school excursion destinations, The Perth Mint and The Bell Tower have joined together to present a fantastic offer for schools - GOLD n BELLS! Entry to both historic attractions for only $11.50 per student!
To take advantage of this special offer and to make a school group booking for both attractions, contact the friendly team at The Bell Tower on 08 6210 0444 or email@example.com.
Activities for primary school children
Download Excursion Worksheet here.
Download Word Search Activities here.
Download Colouring In Pages here.
The Perth Mint Challenge
Are you ready to take your little discoverers on an immersive journey into the history and heritage of our golden State? The Perth Mint Challenge engages young minds from beginning to end as they journey through our information-packed Gold Exhibition to uncover the answers to this 10 part kids’ quiz. Making this challenge all the more exciting, a commemorative medal awaits them on completion. Students will receive a quiz upon arrival.
Teacher’s feedback form
We appreciate feedback from visiting teachers. Download our Teacher's Feedback Form here.
For school booking inquiries, please call 08 9421 7223 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.