Monday 18 January 2021
Pink Diamond-Jewelled Gold Horse Gallops on to $279,000.00 Coin
Representing power, beauty and freedom in cultures around the world, the majestic horse has been immortalised in the finest gold and rare Argyle pink diamonds in what will be The Perth Mint’s most significant release for 2021.
The opulent Jewelled Horse coin showcases spectacular and rare treasures from two West Australian icons – The Perth Mint and Argyle Pink Diamonds.
The Jewelled Horse is the fourth release from The Perth Mint’s range of diamond-studded coins showcasing Asia’s revered mythical and mortal creatures.
This limited-edition coin – with a mintage of only eight – follows in the footsteps of The Perth Mint’s past annual showcase productions including The Jewelled Phoenix (2018), The Jewelled Dragon (2019) and last year’s Jewelled Tiger.
As with the past years’ showcases, the eight Jewelled Horse coins – priced at AUD 279,000.00 each (incl GST) – are expected to sell fast at a time when investor and collector interest in high-quality, timeless precious metal products is soaring.
Struck from 10oz of 99.99 per cent pure gold in proof quality, this opulent coin edition is surmounted by a three-dimensional representation of a rearing horse made from 18-carat rose gold. The body of the horse is pavé-set with 2.76 carats of specially selected intense to vivid coloured Argyle pink diamonds. Two Argyle golden diamonds represent the horse’s eyes.
The Perth Mint General Manager Minted Products, Neil Vance, said the horse was a natural choice to feature on such a sophisticated luxury investment product.
“This limited-edition commemorative coin is truly exceptional in terms of its artistry, rarity and value,” Mr Vance said.
“Our Jewelled Phoenix, Jewelled Dragon and Jewelled Tiger coins all sold out. We expect The Jewelled Horse to be similarly sought-after among the world’s collectors of luxury items and diamond connoisseurs.”
Featured in many mythological stories and one of 12 auspicious animals in the ancient lunar calendar, the horse has played a potent role in Chinese culture for millennia. Often credited with the invention of the harness and stirrups, China first domesticated the horse thousands of years ago.
Pulling chariots and carrying combat riders into battle, the horse played an important military role in helping to protect the Middle Kingdom from barbarian raids. Symbolising vitality, speed, courage, nobility and power, the horse has frequently been celebrated in art, noticeably the black ink wash-painting style dating from the Tang dynasty.
To this day, the horse represents one of the most recurrent animal themes in Chinese culture.
Recognising the significance of the number “8” in Asian cultures and its association with luck and prosperity, the limited number of Jewelled Horse coins are each presented in a luxurious display case with 18-carat gold furnishings inset with two additional Argyle pink diamonds.
This rare Australian collectable features the Jody Clark effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the monetary denomination and the 2021 year-date on its obverse.
Priced at AUD 279,000.00 (incl GST), The Jewelled Horse coin is available for purchase in store and online. Find out more by visiting perthmint.com/jewelled-horse, telephoning (+61 8) 9479 9936 or emailing email@example.com.
Discover the dazzling Jewelled Horse on YouTube.
View The Perth Mint’s entire range of precious metals products and more at perthmint.com and connect on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram.
For further information, interviews or photography please contact:
Kiara Felstead, Media and Events Officer, The Perth Mint
T: +61 (0) 8 9421 7204
M: +61 (0) 431 313 666
The Jewelled Range of coins
- The first instalment of the Jewelled limited-edition showcase range launched in January 2018 with The Jewelled Phoenix.
- A world first, the pavé-set Argyle pink diamond coin was created in response to heightened market demand for exclusive collectables with an interest in luxury items portraying oriental design themes.
- The Jewelled Phoenix limited edition, priced at AUD 188,000.00 each, sold out in six weeks.
- Buoyed by the success of The Jewelled Phoenix, The Perth Mint followed up with the limited-edition release of The Jewelled Dragon (AUD 179,000.00 each) and last year’s Jewelled Tiger (AUD 259,000.00 each), which also sold out within weeks.
- Most of the buying interest has come from coin collectors and luxury product customers in Australia and Singapore. A number of items have also been sold to Europe and the US.
The Perth Mint
- Based in Perth, Western Australia, and with a proud 120-year history of working in gold, The Perth Mint is one of the world’s leading precious metals refiner and processes the majority of newly-mined gold in Australia.
- In the 2020 financial year, The Perth Mint sold 14.6 million coins, medallions and minted bars, valued at more than AUD 2.2 billion
- Refining throughput for the same period was 16 million ounces (498 tonnes) of gold and silver doré.
- Metals in storage across the Mint’s extensive range of central bank grade vaults reached AUD 5.73 billion in the 2020 financial year.
- The Perth Mint is the third-largest exporter out of Western Australia and the fourth largest Australian manufacturer, and one of the world’s best-known names in investment and luxury gold products.
Argyle Pink Diamonds
- These world-famous pink diamonds were discovered and then mined from the Argyle mine in Western Australia’s Kimberley region.
- The Argyle mine – comprising an open pit and later an underground operation – successfully produced pink and other diamonds for 37 years before ceasing operations in November 2020.
- RFamed for its pink diamonds, the Argyle mine became the world’s largest producer and virtually the sole source globally of the incredibly rare diamonds.