The Perth Mint fascinates all age groups and is particularly educational, with many links to the national curriculum framework. Students will discover the tremendous impact the discovery of gold has had on shaping Western Australia, and discover gold in forms that they would otherwise be unlikely to encounter.
School groups that are interested in discovering more about our State’s golden history, the gold mining industry, precious metal coining, and Australian currency, should consider us for their next visit.
On a visit to The Perth Mint, students can:
- take part in an entertaining and informative guided heritage walk including entry to the Gold Exhibition;
- watch molten gold being poured to form a gleaming gold bar within the Mint's original Melting House;
- see the world's largest gold coin made from 1 tonne of pure gold;
- handle more than $700,000 worth of gold bullion;
- view Australia's greatest collection of natural gold nuggets, including Newmont's Normandy nugget, the second largest nugget in the world still in existence;
- experience the excitement of the early gold rushes;
- discover the value of their weight in gold;
- see millions of dollars' worth of precious metal coins and medallions being struck;
- mint their own medallion for just $2; and
- have a special message engraved on a personalised medallion from just $17.
Download The Perth Mint's Excursion Information for School Groups here.
Please note: For security purposes, The Perth Mint cannot store school bags for children. Children are required to take their bags with them on the tour.
A special offer for schools
Two of Perth’s top school excursion destinations, The Perth Mint and The Bell Tower have joined together to present a fantastic offer for schools - GOLD n BELLS! Entry to both historic attractions for only $11.50 per student!
To take advantage of this special offer and to make a school group booking for both attractions, contact the friendly team at The Bell Tower on 08 6210 0444 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Activities for primary school children
Download Excursion Worksheet here.
Download Word Search Activities here.
Download Colouring In Pages here.
The Perth Mint Challenge
Are you ready to take your little discoverers on an immersive journey into the history and heritage of our golden State? The Perth Mint Challenge engages young minds from beginning to end as they journey through our information-packed Gold Exhibition to uncover the answers to this 10 part kids’ quiz. Making this challenge all the more exciting, a commemorative medal awaits them on completion. Students will receive a quiz upon arrival.
Perth's golden trail of discovery - a free class excursion
Perth’s first ever virtual trail, the #heartofgold Discovery Trail provides a fun, interactive and educational experience for school students to learn the story of a city and nation built on gold.
Led by a smartphone app, school groups will journey across Perth City from Elizabeth Quay to The Perth Mint to visit 12 historic locations significant to our golden heritage.
A great option for class excursions, the creators of the trail have also developed lesson plans linked to Australian Curriculum for years 5 to 9 to complement the learning experience. Teachers can book a gold trail demonstration, get trail and excursion tips, download resources, and find out about the latest events and competitions on the teacher resources page.
Discounted entry to The Perth Mint: All excursion groups that complete the #heartofgold Discovery Trail are entitled to $7 entry to The Perth Mint’s Gold Exhibition.
Teacher’s feedback form
We appreciate feedback from visiting teachers. Download our Teacher's Feedback Form here.
For school booking inquiries, please call 08 9421 7223 or email email@example.com.