The Jewelled Koi a masterpiece on its own
Synonymous with harmony and happiness, The Jewelled Koi combines two Western Australian icons – Argyle Pink Diamonds™ and The Perth Mint – and undoubtedly sits among The Perth Mint’s most luxurious coins launched to date.
With only eight of these new, limited-edition masterpieces available at AUD 262,800 each, The Jewelled Koi coins are expected to be snapped up quickly by elite collectors.
Launched today as part of The Perth Mint’s Masterpieces Series, The Jewelled Koi is the fifth annual release from the exclusive jewelled range of diamond-studded coins, with the earlier Jewelled Phoenix, Dragon, Tiger, and Horse coins coveted by enthusiasts all over the world.
For the first time ever in the jewelled range’s history, the koi features a combination of pavé set fine white diamonds and ultra-rare Argyle Pink Diamonds™ as part of its gleaming and intricate design.
The Perth Mint Acting Chief Executive Officer Jane King said The Jewelled Koi was expected to sell out as interest in the organisation’s minted offerings continued to soar, with sales of gold minted products in 2021 the highest seen in a decade.
“The Perth Mint has been trusted for more than 123 years for the quality and purity of our products, so our jewelled coins are highly anticipated by ultra-premium collectors,” she said.
“The exquisite craftsmanship, precious materials and cultural considerations that go into every jewelled piece make each iteration highly sought after by numismatic connoisseurs."
“The Perth Mint is proud to present The Jewelled Koi to the global luxury market and we look forward to creating even more extraordinary collectable artworks in future.”
The koi is widely considered to be a lucky omen for marriage, fertility, prosperity and wealth, with just eight coins produced in the series, as eight is the luckiest number in Chinese culture.
The Perth Mint General Manager, Minted Products Neil Vance said with the closure of Rio Tinto’s Argyle Diamond Mine in 2020, Argyle Pink Diamonds™ have skyrocketed in rarity and demand.
“The Jewelled Koi is struck from 10oz of 99.99 per cent pure gold in proof quality, with no less than 78 pink diamonds from the Argyle Mine and 80 fine white diamonds per unit – making these coins an incredibly attractive keepsake for premium coin collectors,” he said.
“Each jewelled coin series is a huge commitment but every year the results are just outstanding, and the koi is no different – the exceptional artistry in this series is second to none and we have no doubt the numismatic community will be just as impressed with the koi as we are.”
Michelle Sherring, sales and business development manager for Rio Tinto’s diamonds business said their team was delighted with The Perth Mint’s The Jewelled Koi coin.
“It is a distinctive investment piece and a beautiful symbol of the unique treasures of Western Australia, setting a new benchmark for limited edition craftsmanship.”
“Since mining ended at Argyle we have seen and continue to see, very strong demand and value appreciation for Argyle Pink Diamonds,” she said.
The Jewelled Series is developed each year in association with John Glajz, a Singapore-based Argyle Pink Diamond ™ Authorised Partner ™ and regional ambassador for the Natural Color Diamond Association.
The Jewelled Koi coins are presented in a luxurious display case with 18-carat gold furnishings inset with two additional Argyle Pink Diamonds ™. The coins feature the Jody Clark effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the monetary denomination and the 2022 year-date on its obverse.
Priced at AUD 262,800 (incl GST), The Jewelled Koi coin is available for purchase in store and online. Find out more by visiting Perthmint.com/thekoi , telephoning (+61 8) 9421 7218 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fact file: The Perth Mint’s Jewelled Range
- The first instalment of the jewelled limited-edition showcase range launched in January 2018 with The Jewelled Phoenix.
- The Jewelled Phoenix limited edition, priced at AUD 188,000 each, sold out in six weeks.
- Buoyed by the success of The Jewelled Phoenix, The Perth Mint followed up with the limited-edition release of The Jewelled Dragon (AUD 179,000.00 each), and in 2020, The Jewelled Tiger (AUD 259,000.00 each), which also sold out within weeks.
- Last year’s release was The Jewelled Horse (AUD 279,000.00 each).
- Most of the buying interest has come from coin collectors and luxury product customers in Australia and Singapore. A number of items have also been sold to Europe and the US.
Fact file: Argyle Pink Diamonds™
- The world-famous Argyle Pink Diamonds™ were discovered in 1979 and then mined for 37 years from the Argyle Diamond Mine in Western Australia’s east Kimberley region.
- The Argyle Diamond Mine has produced virtually the world’s entire supply of rare pink diamonds.
- Following the completion of mining at the Argyle mine in November 2020, Rio Tinto has retained and manages the Argyle Pink Diamonds™ brand within its portfolio of diamonds assets, continuing to support market development activities around the world
For further information, interviews or photography please contact:
Perth Mint celebrates Indigenous culture with maali coin release for Reconciliation Week
The Perth Mint has released a series of limited edition commemorative coins to celebrate Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee.